These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Fried Green Tomatoes with Horseradish Dip
From Farm Where Life is Good
<p>Time for some tangy tomatoes served up in southern style.</p>Source: Adapted from: Guy Fieri-- Food Network (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Serves: depends on what a "serving" is!
4-5 green slicer-type tomatoes
1 cup white cornmeal
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup soymilk + 1 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 cup Sour Supreme, (Tofutti brand)
1 cup Sour Supreme, (Tofutti brand)
1/4 cup Veganaise or Nayonaise
1/4 cup horseradish
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 quart corn oil for frying
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash, dry and slice the tomatoes into 3/8-inch thick. Transfer the tomatoes to a paper towel to drain.
- Combine the cornmeal, panko bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne in a shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, combine the soymilk/vinegar and ½ cup Sour Supreme.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup Sour Supreme, Veganaise, horseradish, lemon zest, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to make the horseradish dip. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron pan to 365 degrees F, medium-high heat until a sample of crumbs really sizzles.
- Dip the sliced tomatoes in the buttermilk mixture and shake off any excess. Press them into the panko mixture and repeat until all the tomato slices have been coated.
- Carefully lower the battered slices, in batches, into the hot oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, then move them to a wire rack to drain. Sprinkle them with salt while they are still hot. Arrange them on a serving platter and serve immediately with the horseradish cream.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings