These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Gooey Sorghum Apple Cake
<p>This recipe is from a 16 page, free recipe book WalMart put out before Christmas a few years ago. It calls for a caramel sauce as the topping, but I think the result is more like a bar dessert than a cake, and it is delicious without the sauce… very moist and delicious warm or cooled.</p>Source: Walmart Great Value Holiday Recipes, submitted by Cheryl Mattingly (Entered by Lee Ruff)
Serves: 16 servings
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl stir together sugar, sorghum, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in flour, soda, salt and spices just until moistened.
- Stir in apples, raisins, and nuts until combined (batter will be thick). Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cover top loosely with foil last 10 minutes if necessary.
- Prepare Caramel Sauce and pour over warm cake, cool 45 minutes.
- Caramel Sauce: In small saucepan, stir together 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings