These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Athens Locally Grown
<p>This recipe enables people without grain mills to grind wheat and make their own bread at home by using a blender to wet-mill the grain. It does require some store-bought flour but you can’t tell the difference in the taste. Enjoy!</p>Source: Mom's kitchen (Entered by Phillip Henry)
Serves: Makes 2 loaves
Step by Step Instructions
- Blend the mixture of wheat berries and liquid for 5-6 minutes on high (adding 1/8 cups of liquid to keep it whirling or turning the blender off and on again to keep the mixture moving).
- Transfer to a bowl or mixer with a dough hook.
- Add to bowl: unbleached flour, yeast, salt, honey, oil, gluten; and mix until blended.
- Knead by hand on oiled surface or by machine 5-8 minutes.
- Shape into loaves, rolls, pizza crust, etc.
- Let rise in oiled pans 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until light brown. Enjoy!
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings