These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Traditional Egyptian Molokhia Stew
From Suncoast Co-op
<p>I made this recipe with seafood. It is traditionally made with the locally available meat – chicken, duck, rabbit etc. The medicinal properties of this stew are legendary.</p>Source: adapted from mideats.com (Entered by Audrey Voss)
Step by Step Instructions
- Make broth by boiling meat or seafood in 8 cups water with onion, bay leaves, cardomon, salt and pepper.
- When meat is tender remove from broth and oven roast until browned.
- Saute garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Combine broth, garlic mixture and molokhia leaves and turn the heat off. The molokhia will cook in 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice with meat either on the side or in the stew.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings