These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Arugula and Potato Soup with Arugula Pesto
From Farm Where Life is Good
<p>Simple soup for a cold Fall evening.</p>Source: Adapted from: 200birdies.wordpress.com (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
2 cups white or yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups arugula leaves trimmed of dense stems, if any
salt and pepper
garlic toast or croutons
Step by Step Instructions
- Arugula pesto: Place 2 handfuls of arugula, ¼ cup raw walnuts, 2 Tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp sea salt and puree until well mixed.
- Garlic toast: Slice dense French/Italian/sourdough bread into ¾" slabs; brush with olive oil and rub with crushed garlic clove. Toast in 450F oven until crunchy and lightly browned.
- Place the potato and vegetable stock in a medium saucepan over high heat. When the stock boils, reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes. The potatoes should be mostly cooked but still slightly firm.
- Add the arugula and 1 tsp salt, cover the pot and turn the heat to very low. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked but not falling apart and the arugula is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of pesto at the bottom of a soup bowl. Ladle in the hot soup and top with a large piece of garlic toast or other croutons.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings