These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Chicket in Tomatillo and Adobo Sauce
From Stones River Market
<p>A yummy Mexican dish that can be very hot or mildly hot, depending on how many chipotle peppers you use.</p>Source: Pati Jinich's Mexican Table (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
Serves: 3 to 6
Step by Step Instructions
- Remove husks from tomatillos, wash off stickiness, and cut larger ones into halves.
- Slice onions by cutting in half lengthwise, then slicing thin crescents. Mince garlic
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then brown in hot oil in a large skillet, turning,then remove from pan. (At this point you can skin chicken if you wish.)
- Saute onions in same pan for 3 to 4 minutes, add garlic & cook a few seconds, then add tomatillos and cook 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add sugar, chopped chipotle(s) and adobo sauce to taste. Return chicken to pan, add broth to almost cover, and simmer 35-45 min. until chicken is cooked and tender. Serve with rice if desired
- I always have lots of tasty broth leftover, to which I add more broth and add leftover chicken and rice, cooked carrots, and we have soup on the second day.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings