These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Beef Stuffed Zucchini
From Stones River Market
<p>Very large zucchini don’t look very appetizing, but they can be delicious if stuffed with meat and veggies.</p>Source: Kathy Ferris (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
Serves: about 6
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oven to 350. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. With a small paring knife, enlarge the cavity of the zucchini, scooping out some of the flesh but leaving a solid shell
- Place zucchini face down on shallow pan, adding enough hot water to steam it in oven. Bake about 30 minutes until softens.
- In large pan, brown ground beef in oil, add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Saute briefly and add flesh of zucchini. Cook briefly and add peppers and cook a few minutes more. Add eggplant and saute on medium, then lower heat and cook until eggplant is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add about 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper. Add seasonings to taste. Add green onion and parsley and cook a minute or two more.
- Remove zucchini shells from oven. Turn over on pan and fill with beef mixture. Top with bread crumbs. Return to oven and bake about 20 minutes more, until bread crumbs are toasted.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings