These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
<p>The uncooked, just soaked/sprouted, chickpeas/garbage beans surprised me. But this recipe is fabulous. And highly adaptable with tweaks to the spices and vegetables added. Yes, it is fried in oil, but we’ll let that slide (no pun intended!) As MP put it to me, “This is stupid good.” We whole-heartedly agree.</p>Source: Adaped from epicurious.com (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Step by Step Instructions
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained.
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough flour so that the dough forms a small ball or patty and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts or patties, or use a falafel scoop, available in Middle-Eastern markets.
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil to 375 degrees in a heavy pad (cast iron works well) and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about 6 balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve alongside cucumber/dill/Sour Supreme salad or stuff half a pita with falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and pickled turnips. Drizzle with tahini thinned with water.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings