These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Portuguese Kale Soup (Caldo Verde)
<p>Portuguese Kale Soup (Caldo Verde), otherwise referred to as Portuguese Penicillin (think, “chicken soup”). Nuff said!</p>Source: an amalgamation (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown Tofurky Kielbasa, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Add onion and garlic to pot with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring often, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stock/broth, and salt and simmer, covered, until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mash some potatoes into soup to thicken, then add chopped/sliced cabbage/kale and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Tofurky kielbasa and beans and cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and season with ground black pepper and hot sauce.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings