These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Spaghetti w/ Mustard Greens
From Augusta Locally Grown
<p>The red pepper in this recipe compliments the bite of the mustard greens. I will turn to this recipe anytime I get my hands on some fresh, local mustard greens!! spaghetti</p>Source: Ciao Chow Linda-- blogspot (Entered by Jessica Converse)
Serves: 3-4 moderate portions
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 lb mustard greens, cut into ribbons
salt & pepper to taste
fresh grated parmesan cheese
Step by Step Instructions
- Put 1/8 cup of olive oil into a large skillet over medium-low heat. When oil is warm, cook garlic just until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bread crumbs and red pepper flakes and cook until bread crumbs are golden. This will take about five minutes or so. Remove and set aside
- Cook mustard greens in boiling water until soft, about five minutes. Drain well. Bittman tells you to cook the pasta in the same water, but I would not recommend doing this with the wild greens, since the bitterness remains in the water.
- Boil the pasta in salted water in another pot
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1/8 cup of olive oil to a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the mustard greens and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and bread crumb mixture and mix well.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain, reserving a little of the water. Toss pasta in the skillet with the mustard greens. If necessary, add a little of the pasta water. Adjust seasonings and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings