These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Purple Hull Peas with Smoked Sausage (Optional)
<p>This recipe uses purple hull peas from Green Acres! <br /> A great recipe for New Years Good Luck!</p>Source: Tom Green - Green Acres (Entered by RCM Market Manager)
Serves: Serves 6-8 as a Side
Step by Step Instructions
- In a medium skillet or saute pan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened. Transfer the vegetables to a medium saucepan; add peas and chicken broth. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice or dice the sausage and brown in the skillet. Add to the peas, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes longer, or until peas are tender.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium (a low boil); continue cooking for about 3 to 5 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add kosher salt and pepper, as needed for flavor.
- Serve the peas with freshly baked cornbread.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings