These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Fried Green Tomatoes
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>A Southern classic dish. You need unripe, firm green tomatoes for this, not red tomatoes. Some recipes call for dipping the tomato slices in egg or buttermilk before dredging in the cornmeal.</p> <p>Also works well for okra and yellow squash.</p>Source: Lola Dawson Hayes (Entered by Market Manager)
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash and Slice the green tomatoes into thin slices. (or okra or squash)
- Mix the salt and pepper into the cornmeal and spread on a plate.
- Pour the oil in the skillet, just enough to cover the bottom. Heat to medium.
- Dredge the green tomato slices in the cornmeal, both sides, a few at a time, just before placing in the skillet.
- Place the coated tomato slices in the heated oil. Fry until lightly brown on one side then turn.
- Remove the tomatoes to a plate covered with paper towel to drain the grease and cool.
- Repeat until all are fried. Add more oil as needed to the skillet, usually after each batch.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings