These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Green Tomato Pie
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>Found in the book Cracklin Bread and Asfidity by Jack and Olivia Solomon, a collection of Alabama folk recipes and remedies. You’ll need to find a recipe for pie crust or buy a ready-made one.</p> <p>Some other recipes call for a mixture of flour and sugar to be put over the tomatoes, then dotted with butter.</p>Source: Rose Reynolds (Entered by Market Manager)
Step by Step Instructions
- Lay in crust and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Slice fresh green tomatoes thinly and fill.
- Put in a level cup of sugar, half a cup of butter, and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of vinegar over filling before putting on top crust.
- Bake in a moderate oven for half an hour. Serve hot.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings