These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
SalScilla Farms Mushroom & Chicken LoMein
From Conway, AR
<p>A Farm-style on this classic Chinese dish. It can be made with any protein or just use different varieties of mushrooms and it will be just as good. When i make it vegetarian I use poHu, grey oyster, shitake and king oyster mushrooms. 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts</p>Source: SalScilla Farms, Inc. (Entered by Judith Allen)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat your water for your pasta.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar, and a 1/4 cup soy sauce, set aside.
- If using chicken, Cut chicken breasts into strips, then cut strips on diagonal to create thin strips about 1/8 inch thick and 2 inch long and add to both with the vinegar/sugar/soy sauce mixture. Cover and put in fridge for 30 minutes as you prep veggies.
- Add pasta to water, cooking as directed.
- Slice your carrot on diagonal, creating then ovals. Should be about the same size as your chicken pieces.
- Slice mushrooms vertically.
- Slice onion in 1/4 inch thick, removing centers. Cut slices in 1/2.
- If using spinach or green. slice. If using peas leave peas whole.
- Prep the optional celery & water chestnuts if you are adding them.
- In another bowl, combine chicken broth, water, sesame oil, ground pepper & remaining sugar, vinegar & soy sauce.
- . In a small bowl add the cornstarch, and add a little bit of liquid from the chicken broth mixture to dissolve the cornstarch. Once dissolved add to the larger bowl of the chicken broth mixture. Around this time pasta should be done; drain, rinse with cool water & set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet scramble egg, chopping into small pieces, remove and set aside.
- Clean wok or skillet and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry 4-5 minutes or until brown. Transfer chicken and juice to a warm bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan over high heat. Add white onion, garlic, mushroom, carrots, spinach (or peas), and optional veggies if using. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the chicken broth mixture & chicken to the vegetables. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the noodles & toss gently, coating with sauce. Continue tossing for 2-4 minutes until sauce is thick and coated.
- Serve immediately, top with diced green onion.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings