These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Cajun Chicken and Okra
From Stones River Market
<p>I created this meal-in-a-dish recipe many years ago, before I left Louisiana. To the chicken recipe that my mother and grandmother made, which they called “smothered chicken,” I added sliced okra, chopped tomatoes and green pepper and optionally, a serrano hot pepper.</p>Source: I created this to find another use for okra, which I love. (Entered by Kathleen Ferris)
Serves: 4 hungry Jacks, 6 moderately hungry
Step by Step Instructions
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. c 1 tsp. salt.
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute chicken until lightly browned.
- To the skillet, add onion and cook until translucent. Add peppers and cook briefly. Add okra and saute about 10 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Lower heat, DO NOT ADD WATER, cover and allow chicken and vegetables to cook in their own juices until chicken is cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice, either white or brown.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings