These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Lion's Mane Mushroom "Crab" Cakes
From Appalachia Mushrooms
<p>This recipe is an excellent way to enjoy crab cakes without the crab! When cooked, lion’s mane mushrooms have a very similar texture to that of lobster or crab, but without the meat. It is a prime choice for vegetarians, or just anyone looking to try something new with delicious, fresh mushrooms.</p>Source: Local Roots subscriber Stephanie Wright (Entered by Boo Hanson)
1/2 pound lion's mane mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise)
1 cup breadcrumbs
2-3 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley
3-4 tablespoons coconut oil (or alternative) for cooking the cakes
lime juice from 1/4 lime
salt and pepper to taste
Step by Step Instructions
- Slice lion's mane mushroom into large pieces. Toss in olive oil and roast in oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 mins. Turn halfway through. The mushroom will shrink substantially as the water cooks out.
- When ready, put mushroom food processor and pulse 4-5 times until mix is broken down in smaller chunks.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, Greek yogurt, lime, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to evenly mix the wet ingredients. Add breadcrumbs and pulsed mushroom mixture.
- Use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (depending on the desired size of the crab cakes) to measure equal portions of crab cakes. With your hands, form into cakes.
- Heat coconut oil in non-stick pan on medium heat and fry until lightly browned on both sides.
- Finish with a touch of sea salt.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings