These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Au Gratin Turnips
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>A tasty & seasonal vegetarian meal! Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!</p>Source: www.tasteofhome.com (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
6 Turnips (peeled & cubed)
1/2 cup Butter (cubed)
4 Green onions (chopped) (divided
1/3 cup All purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
3 cups Half-and-half cream
2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place turnips in a 6 quart stockpot and add enough water to cover them. Bring them to a boil and cook uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the water and return the turnips to the pot.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat Add the half of the green onions and cook them stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour, salt and pepper and stir until well combined. Gradually mix in the half-and-half cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir constantly. Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, then add a 3/4 cup of cheese and stir until it has completely melted.
- Pour the sauce over the turnips and coat them thoroughly. Transfer the turnips to a greased 3 quart baking dish and top them with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes. Top with remaining green onions.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings