These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Bread and Butter Pickles
From Stones River Market
<p>This recipe was first posted to the Market in 2009 for those that like bread and butter pickles.</p>Source: Not sure where this came from back then. (Entered by John Erdmann)
Serves: Multiple Jars
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- Drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- Add drained cucumbers.
- Place pot on medium low heat. Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat. Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water. Dry them off. Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings