These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Fat-Free Watermelon Sherbet
From McMinnville Locally Grown
<p>This sounds so cool and refreshing – my only problem would be not eating the watermelon before I got the sherbet made!</p>Source: Better Homes and Gardens, July 2011 (Entered by Ann Brown)
Serves: 8 (1/2 cup) servings
5 cups watermelon (seeded and cubed)
1/2 cup sugar
1 envelope gelatin (unflavored)
1/4 cup cranberry juice
Step by Step Instructions
- Place watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. You should have about 3 cups of pureed watermelon. Stir in sugar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the gelatin and cranberry juice. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes. Stir mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir gelatin mixture into the pureed melon. Pour into an 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Cover and freeze about 2 hours or until firm.
- Break up frozen sherbet and plance in a chilled mixer bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium to high speed until sherbet is fluffy. Return to pan. Cover and freeze about 6 hours until firm.
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before scooping.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings