These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Curried Tomato and Okra Stew
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>Super easy and super tasty! Just 1 of 8 recipes featured on our unique greeting cards! Images were painted by Drew Cottril of Statesboro, Georgia.</p>Source: Mainstreet Farmers Market (Entered by Market Manager)
3 to 4 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbls curry powder
3 cups okra
3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup water or chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
pinch salt, pepper, and sugar
bacon (optional as a garnish)
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and seasoning. Stir.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until soft. Add the okra and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, and sugar. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh parsley.
- Serve warm over rice or grits, or as is with cornbread (which you can get from Freeman's Mill!)
- You can also add bacon pieces as a garnish!
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings