These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
David's Southern Waffles
<p>David cooked up these waffles at the Market’s August 20 chef demonstration. Topped with Ziegenwald mulberry goat cheese & fresh raspberries from Buffalo Trail Orchard, also Ziegenwald peach chevre and fresh peaches from Andy McIntosh and Honeymoon Acres honey. Another version was a savory waffle with basil in the batter, topped with plain goat cheese and tomatoes.</p>Source: David Phillips, former chef/owner of Dogwood Land Restaurant (Entered by Karen Childress)
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add beaten egg and stir into dry ingredients.
- Add milk and stir until batter is smooth.
- Ladle batter onto preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Garnish with combinations of goat cheese, fruit and honey (described above), or chopped pecans, caramelized bananas. Top off with warm maple syrup, honey, or molasses
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings