These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>This is a great recipe even for the non green eaters in your house! It is good for a buffet or a large family meal. Lots of great products from our market are used in this dish.</p>Source: Southern Living Magazine (Entered by debra chester)
1 lb chopped collards
1 lb. chopped turnip greens
3 cups water
1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 onion grated onion
2 large garlic cloves minced
3 cups milk
2 cups half and half
2 large eggs
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded white cheddar
2 cups shredded Harvarti
3 cups sourdough bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash greens remove coarse stems. Bring greens and water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hours and 45 minutes or until tender stirring occasionally. Drain well. Return greens to pot
- Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients, 1 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Add to greens in pot. Add Cheeses; pour into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish.
- combine breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons melted butter and remaining salt, tossing until coated. Sprinkle on top of greens
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- To make 3 cups of sourdough bread crumbs use 1/3 of a round of Sourdough bread from Sugar Magnolia Bakery torn into pieces and pulsed in a food processor.
- Make ahead: Cook greens, shred cheese, assemble casserole and store in refrigerator without breadcrumb topping up to a day ahead. Prepare breadcrumb topping just before baking. Bake casserole according to recipe up to 2 hours before serving. Reheat briefly before serving.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings