These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Red Mustard with Sausage
From Stones River Market
<p>This recipe calls for sweet Italian sausage, but it is also delicious with locally produced pork sausage. Makes a nourishing main dish, with not much else needed.</p>Source: Found this on www.scrumptiousstreet.com (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
4 - 6 cups red mustard greens
2 Shallots chopped
3 - 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb. 4 sweet Italian sausages or ½ lb. lean pork sausage (cut in diagonal chunks or shaped into tiny balls and cooked ahead).
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook sausage thoroughly, browning slightly. Drain off fat on paper towels and set aside..
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add a pinch (or three) of salt. Blanch the red mustard greens 2-3 minutes and drain, cool and chop.
- Heat a deep, heavy-bottom pan or skillet and add the olive oil. Heat to sauté, making sure the pan is well-coated. Add the shallots and sauté lightly.
- Add the blanched and chopped mustard greens and saute on high temperature, adding more olive oil if necessary. Your aim is to make the greens a little crispy without going dark brown or stringy. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the cooked sausage and heat thoroughly a couple more minutes. Remove pan and serve immediately. Mashed potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes, make a nice accompaniment.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings