These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Baked Eggplant and Tomatoes
<p>You can grow virtually <span class="caps">EVERYTHING</span> in this recipe in your own garden! Any variety of eggplant, onion, sweet pepper, and tomatoes can be used. Mix and match your favorites and experiment with new varieties to make this a little different every time.</p>Source: Mrs. Wilson's Cook Book (1920) (Entered by Patricia Kirkham)
Step by Step Instructions
- Pare the egg-plant and then cut into slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and then cover and set aside for two hours.
- To peel the tomatoes, place them in boiling water for 1 minute and then immediately transfer to cold water.
- Peel and quarter tomatoes, and place in a large saucepan with 1/4 Teaspoon salt and sugar. Slowly simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Wash eggplant and then drain well and dice.
- Place eggplant in a baking dish and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle the top with fine crumbs and grated cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven for twenty-five minutes.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings