These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
From Fresh Harvest, LLC
<p>From Tally and John: “This is fun, beautiful, and delicious!”</p> <p>[Note: test entry — all the ingredients and steps are listed; checking on source and serving count]</p>Source: Fresh Harvest (Entered by Peg Duthie)
3 medium beets
4 small onions
goat cheese or feta as much as you desire to sprinkle over the pizza
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
a sprinkling of rosemary (about 3/4 tablespoon)
pizza dough of choice
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out some pizza dough (well floured so as to avoid sticking) into a nice ten-inch flat surface. You may either purchase pre-made dough from the grocery store or hand-make it.
- Cut and peel three or four onions. Chop.
- Rinse the beets. Using a peeler or paring knife, remove the skin from the beets. Then chop the beet into thin, flat circles.
- Put the beets and the onions on a roasting pan. Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast at 350 degrees for thirty minutes.
- Drizzle the flat, ready pizza dough with olive oil.
- Add the roasted beets and onions.
- Add rosemary.
- Sprinkle cheese over it all.
- Put the pizza in the oven -- preferably on a pizza stone, or on a large baking pan. Cook at 425 degrees or hotter if you want crispy crust.
- Keep an eye on the pizza and remove from the oven when the crust the crust looks golden brown, the cheese has melted, and the juices are bouncing (between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the strength of your oven).
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings