These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Carmalized onion sourdough biscuits
From Farm Where Life is Good
<p>These biscuits are sublime, if you like sourdough. Keeping a sourdough starter is pretty easy, and it makes for wonderful pancakes on the weekend and pretty darned good biscuits!</p>Source: Adapted from www.kingarthurflour.com (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
1 Tbsp margarine
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 cup flour, all-purpose
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine, really cold
4 Tbsp chives, chopped
1 cup sourdough starter, unfed
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine margarine, onion, maple syrup in pan over low-medium heat. Cook covered 30min, stirring every 5min, until caramelized. Cool and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Work margarine into flour until uneven crumbles. Toss in chopped chives and caramelized onions. Cut in sourdough starter until dough cohesive.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and fold on itself 5-6 times until it comes together. Pat into 1" thick disk. Cut w/ 2 ½" biscuit cutter; pat together scraps and keep cutting.
- Melt additional 2 Tbsp margarine and paint top of biscuits for add'l golden color. (optional)
- Bake biscuits on parchment/cookie sheet @ 425F for 15-18min until just turning golden.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings