These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Gluten-free Double Chocolate Chip Mint Cookies
From Farm Where Life is Good
<p>Think Girl Scout Thin Mints.</p>Source: Babycakes: vegan, (mostly) gluten-free, and (mostly) sugar-free receipes from New York's most talked-about bakery (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Serves: 36 cookies
1 cup coconut oil
1 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
1/3 cup homemade applesauce (see below) or store-bought unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed or alkalized)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2-4 Tbsp minced peppermint leaves
1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix together oil, evaporated cane juice, applesauce, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla and mint in one bowl. In second bowl, whisk together flour, flax, baking soda, and xanthan gum. Using rubber spatula, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine until dough is formed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips just until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spacing portions 1 inch apart. Gently press each with the heel of your hand to help them spread. Bake the cookies on a center rack for 14min, rotating sheet 180 degrees after 9min. (Finished cookies will be crisp on the edge and soft in the center.
- Let the cookies stand on the sheets for 10min, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely before covering. Store in airtight container at room temp up to 3 days.
- Homemade applesauce: Step 1, Bake 'em-- 2 lbs peeled, cored, diced 1" apples of the tart variety (Granny Smith or ½:1/2 with Pink Lady) 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon ½ cup agave nectar ¼ cup fresh lemon juice Toss all together in a bowl until well coated. Spread evenly on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 325F for 35min, rotate baking sheet 180 degrees at 20min for even roasting. Remove and let sit 30min.
- Step 2, Blend 'em-- Roasted apples ¼ cup agave nectar 1 cup hot water Place all in food processor or blender; blend until smooth.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings