These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Chicago Giardiniera Recipe
<p>A spicy pickled vegetable condiment/antipasta for adding a crunch to sandwiches, a kick to stews or a tang to a savory bean dish. The vegetable variety can vary according to what’s available.</p>Source: http://fromthebartolinikitchens.com/2011/08/24/giardiniera-the-chicago-way/ (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Serves: A bunch
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine vegetables and salt. Add enough water to cover, stir, cover, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Strain vegetables from brine, rinse well, and set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, add garlic and remaining seasonings.
- Add the reserved, brined vegetables into the bowl and gently mix until well-coated.
- At this point, the giardiniera may be left, covered, in the bowl or transferred to clean jars. Either way, it must be refrigerated for 48 hours before serving.
- Because this giardiniera isn’t canned, it must be stored in the refrigerator, where it will keep for a few weeks..
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings