These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Tomato Basil Soup
<p><strong>Now’s the time to save the summer for some good winter eats!</strong> The taste of tomatoes and basil will bring the summer back while you are sitting at a warm dinner table in December with a nice loaf of garlic bread and this no-work soup.</p>Source: Adapted from: Preserving the Harvest by Carol Costenbader (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Serves: 5 quarts
Step by Step Instructions
- In heavy saucepan, cook onions in oil covered on low heat for 15min or until soft. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, stock, lime juice and sugar. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer covered for 15min.
- Add basil.
- Transfer soup to blender and puree.
- Cool to room temperature. Ladle into freezer containers (in the sizes you are likely to serve) and freeze.
- To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat and serve.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings