These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cakes
From Farm Where Life is Good
<p>Sweetened only with dates and maple syrup, these nutty, fruit-topped cakes do double duty as both a decadent breakfast and a healthy dessert. Both the cakes and compote can be made ahead and reheated before serving. Serve with Apple-Pecan Compote.</p>Source: Weblog-- Fat-free Vegan Kitchen: Sinlessly Delicious (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1 1/4 cup plain coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
Step by Step Instructions
- Place the water and dates in a blender and blend until dates are finely chopped. Add the pumpkin, spices, salt, and flaxseed and blend until well-combined.
- Heat a large saucepan and toast the oats, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Carefully add the pumpkin mixture, standing back in case it spatters, and then the coconut milk. Stir well, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes or until thick and chewy.
- Line a 11×7-inch baking dish with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray. Spread the oats in the dish, smoothing the top. Cool on the counter for an hour and then refrigerate until completely chilled, at least an hour. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 16 triangles or rectangles.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with a light coating of cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add half of the oatmeal cakes and cook on each side until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a warm oven and repeat with remaining cakes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place two cakes on each dessert plate. Top with warm Apple-Pecan Compote, below.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings