These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Paleo Buffalo Moussaka
<p>Want a delicious, easy, grain and dairy free moussaka? And made with water buffalo! Here you go.</p>Source: A recipe adapted from Grassfed Girl's blog. (Entered by Closed Account)
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt ghee or coconut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground water buffalo, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Break up the meat with a spatula and cook until just brown. No need to drain.
- Add water and tomato paste to meat mixture and stir until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the eggplant into bite-size cubes with the skin on. Place in same pan, lightly sprinkle with salt, and sauté until barely soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Place eggplant into a greased 9x9 square baking dish. Spread the meat mixture over the top of the eggplant and sprinkle with parsley.
- Set aside 1/4 c. of the coconut and pour remainder into the frying pan (still medium heat).
- Mix the arrowroot powder with the 1/4 cup of coconut milk until smooth.
- When the coconut milk in the frying pan begins to bubble, stir in the arrowroot mixture and a dash of salt and pepper.
- When the sauce thickens whisk in the beaten egg until smooth. Pour evenly over the meat and eggplant.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then broil for another 3-5 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. This recipe is ideal for making ahead and freezing.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings