These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Beef Pot Roast with Maple Sweet Potatoes and Cider Gravy
From Rose Creek Farms Coop
<p>Wonderful fall recipe, for pot roast and in season Sweet Potatoes</p>Source: Recipe as seen in the Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Entered by Kathy Waymire)
Serves: makes 8 sevings
1 3-3/12 # Chuck Roast
2 tsp olive oil
1 3/4 tsp Salt divided
3/4 tsp pepper, divided
1 cup chopped oinion
2 tsp chopped fresh Thyme
1 cup Beef Broth
3/4 cup apple cider
3 lbs Sweet Potatoes, cut crosswise into 1in pieces
4 cloves Garlic
2 Tbls maple syrup
2 tbls cornstarch (Arrow Root) disolved in 2 tablespoons waterrrl
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat until hot, place roast in stockpot and brown evenly. remove Roast season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Add onion and Thyme to stock pot ; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth and cider cook on medium-high . Cook and stir . Return Roast to stock pot; brink to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add peeled and sliced Sweet potatoes and garlic to stock pot ; continue simmering , covered 30 minutes until potatoes and roast are fork -tender.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm. Remove Sweet potatoes and garlic with slotted spoon, leaving liquid in stock pot.
- Add maple syrup, ginger and remaining salt and pepper to sweet potatoes, beet until sweet potatoes and garlic are mashed and smooth...keep warm
- stir in thickening agent (arrow root or cornstarch) and water to liquid. Brink to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Carve pot roast into slices, serve with mashed sweet potatoes and gravy, makes 8 servings. Enjoy!
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings